LIVE FROM THE MASQUE

New job is still kicking my ass, abortion but hopefully this post will last you a few days –

VARIOUS ARTISTS – “Live From The Masque”, Vols. 1-3″ (1977/8?)

The Masque was ground zero for the original Hollywood punk scene, existing in a bombed-out concrete space reminiscent of today’s L.A. underground music nexus The Smell. All the heavy hitters of the old-school scene played at the Masque: Germs, The Zeros, Black Randy and the Metrosquad, The Dickies, The Bags — the list is looooooong, and you can hear some of the result of their clatter on this three-volume live set. These CDs were put out in ’96, and nowadays what’s in-print is a single-disc volume called “Live At The Masque: The Definitive Collection” — but looking at info available on Amazon, it says “Recorded live at the Elks Lodge, Los Angeles, CA on February 24 & 25, 1978″ — which clearly would not be The Masque. Dunno if any of the tracks on these three discs below are the same as what’s on the “Definitive Collection”, but in the end, who cares? All that matters is that the downloads below constitute a wiiiiiiiide slab of whatchawant.

Various Artists – “Live At The Masque”, Vol. 1 (ZIP file)
Various Artists – “Live At The Masque”, Vol. 2 (ZIP file)
Various Artists – “Live At The Masque”, Vol. 3 (ZIP file)

This entry was posted in Live Sharity. Bookmark the permalink.

710 Responses to LIVE FROM THE MASQUE

1. Xopher.tm says:

OMFUG Thankx for these!

2. The timing of this post is especially great. I just finished reading Live at the Masque: Nightmare from Punk Alley yesterday and have been listening to old LA punk stuff as a result. I don’t have any of these, so thanks!

3. Tom says:

These perfromances were from the Masque benefit show held at the Elks Lodge held at the dates listed. A few of the performers (The Screamers, The Controllers, and Shock comes to mind) did not make the set, although the Screamers set is supposedly on one/some of the bootlegs of their material. The Definitive Collection is supposed to be the best of this collection and so is a subset. Exene’s label rereleased these a number of years ago, though I think that version is out of print. A great collection!

4. Robert says:

I have a CD – Forming – Live at the Masque with the picture of Darby on the front – 24 tracks in total, cool informative booklet but just with Weirdos, Bags, Germs and Skulls tracks on it with 6/5/7/6 tracks respectively. So this post is the real deal – to steal a phrase!
    Stay alive Robert

5. brian fellows says:

a few days? man this will last a few weeks, at least – THANKS!!

6. Hank says:

Wow. I – I – I don’t know what to say. You really shouldn’t have… just what I wanted, how did you know?

7. derek payne says:

Wow! and Wow again!!I stumbled on this blog when i was looking for somethine else-how kool is this?!this music deserves to be heard.The only American punk comp lps we really got in the early 80s were let them eat jellybeans and a few others-you’ve made an older punk very happy!Bless you my son!!

8. Rg says:

Thanks so much for this. Here’s to all the punks who wished Breeendan re-opened the Masque! Re: You me and the Carpet makes three…much love.

9. Phill says:

Listening to this right now, it occurs to me- these bands are all from the Masque, but not at the Masque (they’re at the Elks Lodge). That’s why the “from” in the title, rather than “at”. Pretty good, so far.

10. Viacomclosedmedown on youtube says:

I’ll make up a phrase out of joy for this post: “You Kick Butt on All Ruts!!”