MORT GARSON (part 2 of 2)

Of my favorite Mort Garson record, “Plantasia”, music reviewer Ignatius on rateyourmusic.com sez:

Copies of ‘Plantasia’ were initially given away with Simmons mattresses (!) in the mid 70′s, the flora friendly record also came with an illustrated booklet on how to let the music speak to your plants, soothing them with soft oscillations and bouncy electro pop. How this music is supposed to relate to plants is beyond me, but it’s all the better for it, since the tunes are so good, many far ahead of their time in the ambient electronic pop idiom. Occasionally dipping into cheeky Perrey-Kingsley territory, these tolerable moments are more than forgiven by some of the other, more esoteric tracks that bounce and bleep their way around your virtual electro-greenhouse (or your headphones).

Mort Garson – “Music For Sensuous Lovers”, 1971 (ZIP file)
Mort Garson – “The Unexplained – Ataraxia”, 1975 (ZIP file)
Mort Garson – “Plantasia”, 1976 (ZIP file)

744 Responses to MORT GARSON (part 2 of 2)

1. IVOR says:

God bless you sir.

I have misplaced my Plantasia vinyl and miss it very much. It’s so great, I’m glad it’s your favorite too.

I played a track from the Wozard of Iz yesterday on my show and it was fucking insane. Didn’t expect it to be so weird and angry. Awesome.

2. DJ Doughtray says:

So much good stuff on this site, much thanks.

3. Phill says:

That explains where my wife got her copy of Plantasia! Her uncle used to own a waterbed store.

4. Agustín says:

I would really thank you for sharing this great music, I knew Mort Garson`s music in 1980. Since then I own a mint vinil of Black Mass Lucifer recording, that I quess is the only copy in Argentina . But others I only had them in recorded cassette tapes, that weren`t capables to reproduce this kind of music well enought. Now thanks to you I have most of Mort Garson`s recordings in the best way possible.
    Your truly.
    Agustín

5. Thanks!

I have search both high and low for the Wozard of Iz since the late 80. I had it only on poor tape recording. Its a lot of memories with this album.

Thanks again.

Anders

6. David Totty says:

Wow. these albums are amazing! I especially liked Plantasia! But I have to say that I don’t know many people that kept their plants on a Simmons mattress! Maybe it was one of those 70′s things…

thanks so much for posting Mort Garson’s work. it almost feels like I’ve won the lottery.

7. Joel says:

Absolutely brilliant work!

8. Ariel says:

Thanks so much for these; I’m looking forward to these discoveries. I love your posts!

9. Qubert says:

yup.

10. Chris says:

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! I have been looking everywhere for this. You rule!!!!!

11. EricK says:

Thanks for making this great music available for the world to hear. If it wasn’t for this place, I would have never heard of his music.
    Please keep the site going!

Moog Lives!

Eric

12. fahl says:

Hail free download (better than 60 bocks sellers) ! Great website.
    Thanks for the music, i was looking for these Mort Garson albums for quite a while, especially Plantasia, Black Mass and Ataraxia

it seems to me only The zodiac and Wozard of Iz are available in CD format

13. Ale55 says:

Thank you a lot. I’ve never heard MG before. A true great discovery. You are doing a great job.

14. ne1nno1 says:

isn’t it interesting how genuinely thankful we all are that these gems haven’t been lost? they are so much fun to listen to, aren’t they? anyway, i’m a huge fan of black mass, and now can say the same of plantasia and ataraxia. thanks very very much :)